The house at Carbeth Guthrie was built in the early 1810 by John Guthrie, a West Indies Merchant. For many years the estate was owned by the Barns-Graham family who we are grateful to for their continuing interest and support.
Over the years the estate’s history has been inextricably, and fascinatingly associated with the Carbeth Huts. Initially built in the 1900s to give Glasgow city dwellers a taste of the countryside, the development of huts was expanded during the war to provide refuge from the Clydebank Blitz in 1941.
Today the huts are owned by the hutting community, and continue to provide an escape for city dwellers. Find out more about the hutters at the Carbeth Hutters site.
Carbeth Guthrie House and the remaining Estate is still privately owned, now under the stewardship of the Trevithick family. Having spent many years in the hubris of inner city London, the estate is very much a refuge for our young family.